Travels in a Blue Chair: Alaska to Zambia, Ushuaia to Uluru

A disabled adventurer backpacks the world - alone!! This book makes a great holiday gift or corporate prize! See my TV interviews... http://www.youtube.com/user/bluechairwalt








Thursday, June 30, 2011

Welland Eastdale Graduation - guest speaker

After the great time I enjoyed with all my schoolmates from high school days at the reunion last month, I was honoured to be asked by the principal of the school to be the guest speaker at this year's edition of the graduation.

I had a bit of a blip getting there, as I left work a bit early to drive down for the mid-week, 6 pm event. Unluckily for me, I only got as far as Burlington before the car died. I had only one hour to get there, so had to take a taxi to my hometown of Welland.

The grad was at an Italian banquet hall, which is a much better venue that the gym, where we had received our diplomas. I was a bit nervous, but once on stage, I remembered some good times at Eastdale, and how my classmates had left me on top of the table in the old Grade 13 room. In the end, it was all the girls from the Physics class who came to my rescue! I also spoke about "Travels in Blue Chair" and how my days in the school helped me in my travels.

I received lots of great feedback from teachers, graduates and their families. It was so heartwarming to be allowed to speak at the event and watch the next generation of young adults take their first step into the future.

Many thanks to Ed, the principal, who invited me and even offered to drive me home! Luckily, my brother John did that.

No comments: